According to the results of Rotter's Locus of Control Scale Test, my score is almost right in the middle, not too high, not too low. Therefore, if the Locus of Control Scale is an accurate measurement of my beliefs about events that happen to me and in the world, I believe that some events are out of my control and that I also control my actions.
While Rotter's Locus of Control Scale Test is helpful in assessing behavior and even values, I cannot say that I fully agree with all of its content. Rotter's exam is general in that it doesn't account for those who have beliefs that are not reflected in his questions. For example, while I don't believe in the vagueness of luck, I do believe in a God who is omniscient; I believe that He plays an incredible role in the world and in the things that occur (or do not occur). Now, does this mean that I have no choice? Absolutely not, by His choice, God has given me freewill. I daily choose what I will do and say without external force; still, I do believe that God influences my decisions even though it is ultimately my choice. I am not trying to disprove Rotter's theory, I am only saying the questions are limiting.
For the sake of discussion, let's say that I thought Rotter's Scale valid, what kind of leader would I be based on the results of the exam? As I stated before, my test results found me right in the middle. Thus, I assume that I would be even-tempered in task-approach and in interpersonal relations among employees. I think I would understand that there are circumstances that we (as an organization) cannot control; however, I would also rationalize that we can choose how to respond to forces beyond our control. Interestingly enough, I also think I would lead in confidence (knowing that I had to put in the work to attain the leadership position) and in humility (accepting God's grace in allowing me to lead).
The question still remains: Is Rotter's Locus of Control Scale Test, poppycock? No. I reason that Poppycock is too harsh a word. Rotter's Scale is useful in human assessment, yet, I wouldn't recommend using his scale as the only source in any form of psychological research.
http://www.brandeis.edu/roybal/docs/Locus%20of%20Control_website.pdf
No comments:
Post a Comment