In discussing my leadership traits as they relate to the trait approach, I will not solely rely on self-reflection as discussing my strengths will give a biased review; I will also discuss my strengths as observed by past and present supervisors.
I used to have a hard time identifying my strengths and weaknesses but as I grow as a leader, I am able to recognize the traits that guide me in effectiveness. Based on what I know of myself and supervisor-evaluation, I will say that intelligence is one of my strengths. According to Northouse (2016), intellectual capacity is "having strong verbal ability, perceptual ability, and reasoning appears to make one a better leader" (p. 23-24). My career requires strong communication skills as most of my tasks are communication-centered whether it be in-person, phone conversations, or e-mail correspondence. Additionally, I must have reasoning capacity as critical thinking is a necessary skill; the nature of my job allows this skill to consistently sharpen.
While intelligence is a trait that can be learned, I believe that it demands so much more than highly skilled behavior and intellectual capability. Northouse (2016) outlined several Major Leadership Traits: intelligence, self-confidence, determination, integrity, and sociability (p.23); I believe that in leadership, intelligence should encompass all of the Major Leadership Traits. However, when I speak of intelligence as my strength, I am not only focusing on job knowledge and ability, I am also speaking of emotional intelligence.
In his research on the most effective leaders, Daniel Goleman (1998) found that while iQ and technical skills are relevant, emotional intelligence is most essential in leadership. Goleman (1998) noted that emotional intelligence so significant that even, a well-trained, analytically-minded, idea-filled person will not make a great leader without it (p. 82). The five components of emotional intelligence are self-awareness, self-regulation, motivation and empathy (Goleman, 1998, p.88). Although I may not exceed standards in each of the emotional intelligence components, I do believe that these emotion-centered traits are my strengths; these traits enable me to lead effectively. As I stated earlier, I learned about my strengths through introspection and interpersonal evaluation.
As I mature, I am learning more about my weaknesses or maybe I should say I'm coming to terms with my weaknesses. For example, I have issues with self-confidence and codependency; if not addressed, these traits will negatively impact my leadership abilities. As a leader, I need to have boldness in my decisions and in uncomfortable conversations with employers and subordinates. If I am not confident and only seek to please others (codependency), all of the skills that I named as strengths will be ineffective . Since I am aware of my insecurities and codependent tendencies, I make an effort to reflect via journal on both the effective and ineffective things I have done in the course of the day.
My leadership traits are important to my leadership style because they are also my lifestyle traits. I want to be an emotionally intelligent person no matter the environment. Emotional intelligence traits are important to me because they will determine the kind of leader and person I am. When I am consistent in effective traits, others are more willing to trust me as person and as their leader.
Northouse, P. G. (2016). Leadership: Theory and Practice. Los Angeles: Sage.
Goleman, D. (1998). What Makes a Leader? Harvard
Business Review, 82-91.
No comments:
Post a Comment