Monday, August 1, 2016

MSLD _511_Module_9: Course Reflections

Revisiting my leadership-definition post was inspiring, kind of hopeful, and filled with expectations of the leader more than anyone else. I don't know that I would change the definition, but I would add some considerations. Admittedly, leaders are held to a higher standard, intentionally and unintentionally. That said, when a leader falls, little grace is extended to them because "they should know better, they are the leaders". As I consider the leaders in my life I realize that I have to look at them from the "that will be me one day" perspective. Admittedly, there are times when I do not fully agree or understand leader-decisions; it is hard to consider the thought processes of a leader when his or her actions negatively impact you or your organization, even if it is for the good. 

The more I've been reading about leadership, the more I think about leading and making unpopular, yet healthy decisions. If a leader is leading with integrity and excellence and treating others with justice and respect, that leader should receive the same treatment from followers. Because leaders are held at a higher standard, they are not quickly forgiven like a follower might be forgiven quickly. Unfortunately, the same follower who was pardoned by his or her leader is the same follower who extends little or no grace to his or her leader. I don't want to be that kind of employee. I want to be the kind of employee who can see the humanity of leaders I respect, allowing them grace to fall and mercy to lead again. 

My initial definition included all of these excellent leader qualities but in some ways I think it lacked the idea that leaders have room to grow too. The awesome thing about leadership is that there is no point of "arrival", as a matter of fact, I would be concerned if any leader told me that he or she feels as if they have come to the point of perfection and knowledge; in that moment, I would know that the leader was no longer teachable; I would know that the leader was not ready to grow which means that the leader is less likely to hear the ideas of subordinates.  Leaders who are willing to fall, willing to admit their shortcomings while embracing confidence and brokenness, truly reflect their humanity. I want a leader that I can touch, a leader who isn't above me though his or her title is. I suppose the core of my thinking is servant leadership; servant leadership was also the focus of my original definition. Therefore, I would keep the important leader traits outlined in my initial definition but I would add the idea of grace and humanity for leaders. As I grow as a leader, I know I would want grace from my followers too. 





No comments:

Post a Comment